Saturday, January 12, 2008

Knitting Irish Hiking/BSJ/Kale Soup

Three projects going at same time with knitting. The Irish Hiking Scarf had to be frogged when I realized it was too wide and would run out of yarn. So I started that all over and took out one cable section to make it narrower. I just hope it does not look too narrow and less masculine now. Maybe I can block the alpaca to make it wider? Not sure if alpaca will block?

My other project is the Baby Surprise Jacket. My knitting group is doing it together. It is the famous Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern . But, if I didn't have the DVD and the notes from the BSJ group I would never have be able to figure it out. EZ's patterns are not clear enough for me as I am just starting to see the whole picture and understand the knitting process.



The other project is the baby sweater I started last week from Cabin Creek. This is taking longer than I expected because of the fingering weight yarn.



Another goal of 2008 is to cook more as to save more $ and to eat healthier. My cooking skills are very weak. My kids even used to call me Microwave MaMa. We were on the run so much with all the activities and with teaching.
Every week at Wegmans the chef, Carmen , demonstrates a new recipe. Last week he suggested using a digital thermometer to check meat as I tend to overcook everything just like my mother did. Well- I got one this week and made perfect steaks and chicken this weekend. It is the kind you hook up to the meat with a probe and has a cord with a gadget to regulate on the kitchen counter.

I am experimenting more. For example,I made a delicious Portuguese Kale This I will make again. I used spicy chicken sausage, fat free broth and drained the beans to make it even less fattening.

Good news!!!Ilost a few pounds this week ! Weighing





2 comments:

old lady said...

I love cables - I'm sure it will still look "manly". I too bought the DVD for the Baby Surprise jacket but haven't looked at it yet. I can't wait to see your finish. Please post pictures. And CONGRATS on the lost weight! That thermometer is great isn't it! Takes some of the guesswork out of the equation. I've learned (by experience) to take things out a few degrees earlier since food continues to cook a bit. Enjoy experimenting!

Cactusneedles said...

My mom used to (and still does) overcook meat! I, too, have that tendency, that's why I let my Hubby do most of the cooking! And I agree with you on EZ! :)