Saturday, April 21, 2007

Litter Plucking-Earth Day

Annual litter pluck day
SULLIVAN COUNTY – The Sullivan County Division of Public Works and Solid Waste donates trash bags for roadside cleanup event and accepts roadside refuse free of charge at the landfill and transfer stations. 845/794-3000 ext. 3072.
Today my husband I spent a few hours doing this litter plucking. (Shoot- I did not think to bring my camera.) We just plucked a small area to clean by the NY/Pa bridge near our house. It was a beautiful day to pluck but I am totally shocked at all the garbage that is tossed along the sides of the bridge and roads. We had 3 full construction size bags of garage that included numerous beer cans , bottles and wrappers from all kinds of cigarettes and food. Also were some political signs buried in dirt, Christmas decorations, a video tape, hub cap and some cat food cans. We took our treasure to the library where they had a dump truck full of the group's efforts. It made me feel good to see all that garbage off the roadsides.

No comments: